Cajun Prawn Tacos
A delicious fusion dish that the whole family will enjoy!
Cajun prawn tacos cuisine originated when the Acadians, a group of French colonists were deported and ended up settling in Southern Louisiana. Due to the changes in climate and the non-availability of ingredients, their traditional cuisine underwent a major change. It eventually evolved based on the locally available ingredients and borrowing influences from French, Spanish and West African styles of cooking.
A rustic and hearty cuisine, Cajun prawn tacos food heavily features the use of onion, celery and bell peppers. Other ingredients that are a staple in Cajun cooking are vegetables like okra, seafood especially prawns, crab, crawfish and sausages.
Cajun cuisine has become such a favourite among many because of the liberal use of spices which makes the food really flavourful. Some of the commonly used spices are bay leaf, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cloves, chilli pepper and also herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, sage, mint – Most of which are usually missing from your default Cajun Spice found in supermarkets.
What makes the Cajun spice blend so popular is the fact that it is so aromatic and complex which makes it an extremely versatile spice blend to have in your pantry. Making an authentic Cajun spice blend from scratch can be quite daunting since it involves quite a few steps like sourcing high-quality spices, roasting and then blending with other ingredients to get a balanced flavour.
That’s where Curry Flavours come in!
We’ve taken all the hard work out, so you can start preparing your favourite curry or dish with minimal effort.
Though named Curry Flavours Cajun Prawn after the traditional preparation, this blend is quite versatile and can be used to create a plethora of other dishes in your kitchen.
Today, we are making a family favourite – Cajun Prawn Tacos.
In this recipe, the Cajun Prawn blend is used as a dry spice rub along with smoked paprika for a bit of heat to marinate the prawns. The prawns are then shallow fried or grilled; simple and easy.
Tacos can never be complete without the accompaniments. We’ve used avocado crema which is basically ripe avocados blended with yoghurt, garlic, lemon and salt but you use just smashed avo or guacamole instead. Any kind of salsa works for this dish but mangoes pair well with prawns, hence the fresh mango salsa!
Cajun Prawn Tacos (served with Avocado Crema, Mango Salsa)
1. 500gms Australian raw prawns; deshelled and deveined
3. 1 tbsp smoked paprika
4. 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
5. Mini tortillas
6. Avocado Crema (or smashed avocado/guacamole)
7. Mango salsa
8. Shredded lettuce
9. Fresh coriander leaves; finely chopped
10. Lime wedges
11. Pickled jalapenos; to serve (optional)
1. Clean the prawns, wash and drain well. In a bowl, add the prawns along with the Curry Flavours Cajun prawn blend, smoked paprika and squeeze half a lime.
2. Heat oil in a pan/grill; when smoking hot, place the marinated prawns and cook on both sides till done. A cast-iron pan or grill is best as it maintains high heat to get that delicious charred flavour. Cook in batches if the pan is small and keep aside.
3. To assemble, take a mini tortilla and spread avocado crema on top. Next, add the shredded lettuce, place a few prawns and then top with mango salsa, coriander leaves and pickled jalapenos. Squeeze some lime juice on top and enjoy.
- While deshelling, leave the tail shell on which adds more flavour and also great for presentation.
- Add a dollop of butter in the finishing stages for enhanced flavour.
Tyrrell’s 2020 Hunter Valley Chardonnay – Medium bodied with a robust palate, great fruit intensity and soft acid finish. This is a refreshing wine from the Hunter Valley region that pairs perfectly with these delicious Cajun Prawn Tacos.
Feel Free to Tag us on your photos or ask us any questions you have on our socials